Students BP 5022(a)
STUDENT AND FAMILY PRIVACY RIGHTS
The Board of Trustees believes that personal information concerning Ddistrict students and their families is to be kept private in accordance with law.
Personal information defined by Federal law, 20 U.S.C. section 1232h(c)(6)(E), states “personal information” as individually identifiable information including a student’s first and last name, a home or other physical address, a telephone number or a Social Security identification number.
The Superintendent or designee is prohibited from collecting, disclosing, or using a student’s individually identifiable information, including his/her name, parent/guardian’s name, home or other physical address, or telephone number for the purpose of marketing or selling that information or providing the information to others for that purpose. The Superintendent or designee shall not collect or solicit social security numbers or the last four digits of social security numbers from pupils or their parents or guardians unless otherwise required to do so by state or federal law.
(cf.0000 – Vision)
(cf.0100 – Philosophy)
(cf.0200 – Goals for the School District) (cf.5020 – Parent Rights and Responsibilities)
(cf.5021 – Noncustodial Parents)
(cf.5125 – Student Records) (cf.5125.1 – Release of Directory Information)
(cf.6000 – Concepts and Roles) (cf.6162.8 – Research)
The Superintendent or designee may collect, disclose, or use students’ personal information for the exclusive purpose of developing, evaluating, or providing educational products or services for or to students or educational institutions, such as the following: (20 USC 1232h)
1. College or other postsecondary education recruitment or military recruitment
2. Book clubs, magazines, and programs providing access to low-cost literary products
3. Curriculum and instructional materials used by elementary and secondary schools
4. Tests and assessments to provide cognitive, evaluative, diagnostic, clinical, aptitude, or achievement information about students (or to generate other statistically useful data for the purpose of securing such tests and assessments) and the subsequent analysis and public release of the aggregate data from such tests and assessments
5. The sale by students of products or services to raise funds for school-related or education
3 of 5
638 of 697